Wednesday, January 10, 2007

On Being (Compared To) Hitler

The thing is, while it would seem that no one else has actually been Hitler (unconfirmed I admit), it seems that almost everyone has taken a turn at being compared to Hitler. Donald Rumsfeld. Bill O'Reilly. Clarence Thomas. Ariel Sharon. Robert Mugabe (who actually compared himself to Hitler). Oh, and Bush Jr. Once I think. In passing.

I'm no better. How often have I compared my close friends to Goebbels or Göring? And did they really deserve it? Most definately. Still, I think it behooves us all to remember Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies): "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
Ergo, at the risk of robbing valid comparisons of real impact I'm going to try using alternatives such as organized religion, big tobacco or supervillains.

My friends (probably) deserve as much. Do yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home